It is very important to support the science learning in children, so that they can appreciate the subject and perform well in classroom. Tips to encourage scientific thinking in children.
- The young children are keen to know about the world around them. They ask questions and want reasons for everything that happens around them. Parents should value these questions and try to answer them scientifically. They should listen to child without any distractions and encourage them to ask more questions. Create situations which arises the curiosity of the children and encourage active discussion and sharing of ideas.
- Encourage the children to explore the topic of their interest. Parents should not provide answers to all the questions instantly. Instead, they should partner with the child and explore different ideas.
- Children learn science by experimenting. Let them experiment with different ideas and come up with answers. Allow them to make mistakes and learn to correct their mistakes. Guide them to understand the shortcomings in the experiments and the reasons for its failure. Ask them to come with better understanding of the concept and experiment again with redefined ideas. Give them the time and space to explore new ideas and topics. Allow them to get dirty or create a mess.
- Once an experiment is successful, parents should encourage further exploration by asking questions and providing guidance. You can ask the child to use some other materials and conduct the same experiment or suggest an alternative method to carry out the experiment. These explorations will broaden the scientific thinking skills of the children.
- Children should be encouraged to record their observations by writing, drawing or photographs. This helps them to keep a track of their experiments and observations.
- Parents need not spend money on science supplies and projects. They can use free websites or apps that promote scientific learning in children. There are a lot of websites that provide information about a wide range of topics that interest children. They can solve puzzles, carryout experiments or watch videos about different scientific phenomenon.