Business Clothing Tips Women

Clothes For Rent Overtaking Fast Fashion As Youth Favors Sustainability

A new startup company, HURR, has joined the horde of brands trying to get into the clothed for rent business. The founder of the company said that millennials are starting to get rid of their habit of purchasing throwaway items and rather they are turning to renting. This is why it is not surprising that fast fashion might become a thing of the past. Clothes for rent companies are not just renting out Halloween costumes and formal dresses but even casual clothes from short cropped top to the good old blue jeans.

HURR was established by Victoria Prew and it was launched online in 2018. The main focus of the company is to rent to women dresses that are considered to be “it”. These types of dresses, when bought at retail could cost from £150 and above. The problem is that it cannot be worn everyday and might have to be stowed away or thrown after one season. Clothes for rent will help significantly lower the waste from fast fashion clothing since a single dress can be used by dozens of people who are renting. Without the option to rent, each person will buy one piece of that particular dress and eventually dispose them.

According to statistics, about 300,000 tonnes of these clothes are thrown away annually. Of this number, 80 percent are burned while the remaining 20 per cent are disposed in landfills.

Renting clothes is one way for every person to reduce the fashion footprint they are contributing to the planet. Renting is not only sustainable but it is also a campaign that could motivate an entire community. The trend is not growing as fast in the United Kingdom as it is in the United States. In fact, Rent the Runway has already reached a value of billion dollars in the US.

Consumers should not aim to buy new item of clothing such as short cropped top every time but the goal is to have a wardrobe with clothes that can be worn everyday and statement pieces can be rented. This way, fashion does not have to be a burden but can be sustainable as well.